Below are key resources in veteran farming, sustainable agriculture, and farm business for the region and country:
- Farmer Veteran Coalition. NC Chapter
The North Carolina chapter of the Farmer Veteran Coalition connects veterans, active duty military, and their families in North Carolina to our state’s many agriculture and veteran resources. We partner with organizations to host events and training opportunities to assist with networking, education, and connection to your fellow North Carolina farmer veterans.
- Farmer Veteran Coalition. TN Chapter
The Tennessee chapter of the Farmer Veteran Coalition connects veterans, active duty military, and their families in Tennessee to our state’s many agriculture and veteran resources. We partner with organizations to host events and training opportunities to assist with networking, education, and connection to your fellow Tennessee farmer veterans.
- Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund
The Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund is a small grant program that provides direct assistance to veterans who are in their beginning years of farming or ranching. The Fellowship Fund does not give money directly to the veteran, but rather to third-party vendors for items the veteran has identified will make a crucial difference in the launch of their farm business. Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000, and nearly $3 million has been awarded to veterans since 2011.
- Geared to Give
In partnership with the Farmer Veteran Coalition (FVC), Kubota Tractor Corporation is helping to cultivate a new generation of farmers through its “Geared to Give” program, which provides financial support and donated Kubota equipment to U.S. military veterans pursuing a career in farming.
- NC Farmlink
NC FarmLink is a program of NC State Extension that connects farmers, landowners, and service providers across North Carolina, helping to grow the state’s agriculture industry. NC FarmLink maintains databases of available farmland and farmers looking for land, and works with landowners and farmers to ensure an appropriate and lasting match is made.
- Soldier to Agriculture Program
The five-week program of the N.C. State University Agricultural Institute — held at the Fort Bragg Career Resource Center — offers an in-depth introduction to the many careers available in agriculture. You’ll receive hands-on training, both in and outside the classroom. And you’ll engage in discussions with industry leaders and farmers about agricultural business, marketing and sales, and various allied industries in need of career-minded individuals.
- NCSU Agricultural Institute
In just two years, the N.C. State University Agricultural Institute will prepare you for a meaningful career in agriculture. Our faculty are among the best in the country. Our facilities are unparalleled. And our hands-on curriculum keeps students up to date with rapidly changing technology and industry demands. Whether you need to hone your skills to jump into the agricultural workforce, prepare to start your own business or get back to the family farm, the Agricultural Institute will help you hit the ground running.
- Certified Humane A nonprofit organization, operating internationally and dedicated to improving the lives of farm animals in food production from birth through slaughter. The goal of the program is to improve the lives of farm animals by driving consumer demand for kinder and more responsible farm animal practices.
- Sustainable Agriculture Academic Degree Programs
The Sustainable Agriculture Education Association (SAEA) exists to serve and connect educators, teachers, students, staff, and administrators who focus on the teaching and learning of sustainable agriculture at the adult level.
- Appalachian State University: Sustainable Development (BS) - Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture
- North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (NC A&T): Agricultural and Environmental Systems (BS) – Sustainable Land & Food Systems and Environmental Studies
- North Carolina State University: Animal Science and Crop & Soil Sciences
- Sustainable Agriculture Education Association
The Sustainable Agriculture Education Association (SAEA) promotes and supports the development, application, research, and exchange of best teaching and learning practices in sustainable agriculture education and curricula through communication, training, development, and collaborative activities for teachers and learners.
- NCAT Armed to Farm Resource
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association events
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association internship job board
- Veteran Guide